Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with SOG Specialty Knives! SOG is a competitive and rewarding work environment based just north of Seattle, Washington. Our workforce is constantly growing, with new positions appearing regularly.
Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports to: Manager - Design Engineering
Location: Lynnwood, WA
SOG Specialty Knives and Tools, (www.sogknives.com), a leader in the outdoor recreation market, is looking for an engineering staff member with excellent skills in CAD (Specifically SolidWorks), machine shop / prototyping skills and an eye for design aesthetics to join our growing team. If you like to sketch, invent and prototype this job is for you.
As part of the Product Development Team, this position creates emotionally charged designs fueled by SOG’s successfully proven consumer insight process. This position will be responsible for design, testing, cost improvement, analysis, documentation of new products, redesign of current products and manage reverse engineering programs using criteria established by the Engineering and Product Management. In addition, the position will be focused on creating and/or assisting in developing the products and Product Specifications related to knives and specialty tools and accessories in conjunction with the Product Management, Marketing, Sales, Industrial Design, and will partner with Product Management, Marketing, Sales, Industrial Design, Global Supply Chain, Offshore Design Team(s), Test Engineer(s) and other groups to ensure design integrity. This position requires outstanding product design skills and knowledge of materials including metals, plastics, coatings, and soft goods, processes and technologies to create innovative designs
Other key aspects of this position contribute to achieving and sustaining the SOG Strategic Business Plan and Initiatives, global competitive advantage, and profitable market growth strategy.
Scope & Responsibilities:
- Develop innovative products that enhance the strength of the SOG brand.
- Proves design concepts empirically with prototypes and theoretically with mechanical calculations.
- Collaborates with Industrial Designers and Manufacturing Engineers to refine and balance design aesthetics with manufacturing constraints.
- Capture desired and/or specific product features and functions in a form that is aesthetically true to the SOG brand.
- Communicates designs internally and externally through the creation of prototypes and technical drawing and documentation.
- Create 3D models, prototypes, sketches, and proof of concept models that effectively communicate design intent.
- Generate design concepts, layouts and assemblies in SolidWorks.
- Mechanism idea generation
- Reproduce existing drawings or make minor changes or additions to existing drawings in the CAD System (SolidWorks) using marked prints or detailed instructions.
- Maintain and prepare dimensional drawings and cross section views.
- Prepare and Maintain Engineering documentation (files, technical literature, parts lists, project reports, Engineering change notices, cross reference, etc.).
- Creates prototypes and proof of concept models, using lathe, CNC mill and 3D printing
- Preforms basic physics/mechanical machine design calculations.
- Develop, manage, administer, budget, monitor, and report on use of company resources as required.
- Adhere to required health and safety regulations and practices.
- Design and implement continuous improvement of various monitoring, measurement and reporting metric systems.
- Interact with other employees with effective communication, coaching and organizational development practices to sustain good morale, effectiveness and performance of the work group.
- Carry out other duties, responsibilities, and projects as may be assigned, in an effective manner.
- B.S. degree from an accredited college/university in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 2 year’s experience of product design. Preferable experience designing consumer products.
- Functional knowledge of injection molding, metal forming and fabrication and common assembly processes.
- Experience with CNC and other fabrication methods
- Ability to use effectively CAD (SolidWorks) with minimum of supervision.
- Ability to be accurate and to pay precise attention to details.
- Knowledge of engineering drawings.
- Knowledge of the tolerance limitations of manufacturing processes such as sheet metal stampings and investment casting is a plus
- Knowledge of HSMWorks CAM software is a plus
- Experience with Adobe PhotoShop, and Illustrator is a plus.
- 2 years’ experience in maintaining confidentiality
- 2 years’ experience in completing and managing projects with minimal oversight and against aggressive timelines
- Written and Oral Skills: English mandatory Bilingual fluency in Mandarin Chinese desirable
- Intermediate level with P.C.’s: Microsoft Office Suite; Outlook; PowerPoint
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to cooperatively interact and communicate well with inter-departmental personnel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible, accept new ideas and input positively, and be open to new work approaches and processes
- U.S. citizen or must possess valid INS Green Card
- Must have the ability to travel internationally without restrictions
- Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license with no major violations within the last five (5) years
- Able to sit and work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time
- Able to perform general office and administrative duties: copying, filing, using a telephone, etc
- Able to stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, at the waist and reach on a daily basis
- Must have corrected vision to 20/30
- Must not be color blind
- Must be able to distinguish colors and tints
- Requires close vision abilities
- Must be able to work overtime and/or weekends as required
- Travel as required (e.g., approximately 25% of time domestic and 10% international)
- Must be able to travel domestically and/or internationally via commercial carrier
Email cover letter and resume to receptionist[at]sogknives.com with subject line of Mechanical Design Engineer